Monday, October 26, 2009
Progress and Improvements
I just had one minor goof-up. I cut slightly more than half of my backing fabric, to allow the extra distance I needed to the (short) leader for the backing. And then as I shuffled stuff around the room to get setup, I grabbed the closest piece of backing and loaded it up. I'm sure you can see this coming - I picked up the wrong piece of backing! I didn't even notice until after I started quilting. So I crossed my fingers and continued. Luck was with me - the backing was just long enough for the quilt. I did have to get creative to reach the last 6 inches of the quilt, but it worked out.
I still have some learning to do, to figure this contraption out. I had a few issues with the quilt top puckering - not sure why, but I hope to figure that out soon. I suppose some practice pieces would be a good plan to get the hang of this. In any case, I'm feeling better about the time I invested in building this thing, and I think I'm going to enjoy this new table.
Check out Judy's blog to see what other quilters have on their design walls today.