Monday, 13 October 2014

Design Wall Monday

The same thing is still on my design wall today.  At least a few more sections have been stitched together.  I'm loving my new Bernina machine - it sews so smoothly and just glides over the intersections like they weren't even there.  Switching after 15 years with one machine was a challenge (I *really* don't like change :) ) but I'm really happy with my new toy!

Drop by Judy's blog to see what everyone else is up to.

Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Work in Progress

After posting yesterday about having second thoughts on this quilt, I've made some adjustments and am a bit happier with where this quilt is going.  Thanks to a reader for suggesting some rearrangement of the strips. I didn't go as far as I maybe could have, because that would have involved piecing a lot of strips back together. But this seems a bit more cohesive than yesterday's arrangement.

Now to finish sewing all the strips together. This has been a great quilt for a first project with my new toy :)  A Bernina 750 came home with me over the weekend, and I'm learning the ins and outs of my first new machine in 15 years.  Almost have that scant 1/4" down pat with this one. All those 2 1/2" strips are great for checking (and undoing and resewing and rechecking) my accuracy.

I'm linking up with Work in Progress Wednesday over on Freshly Pieced and The Needle and Thread Network today.

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Second thoughts?

This is what I had planned for my new quilt.  I picked up the set of handpainted squares, plus a coordinating bali-pop. I was hoping for something simple and quick, that would highlight the squares. In my head, this looked a bit different, but I'm not sure exactly what is missing.

I'll probably forge ahead here - kind of committed, since I cut the strips already.  But I admit I'm having second thoughts about this one.

Monday, 6 October 2014

Design Wall Monday

This wasn't the project that I had planned to tackle next, but I pulled the fabric off my table when I was trying to clean up the other day, and stuck the squares on the wall.  These are a set of hand-dyed batik squares - 1/3 of the set, actually, since I split it with 2 friends. 

I have a coordinating bali-pop to go with it - 40 2.5" strips in coordinating colours. So I think I have a plan in mind now - something simple and quick. And I hope I didn't mess up my calculations, or I'll run out of fabric before I finish

Drop by Judy's blog to see what everyone else is up to today.

Saturday, 4 October 2014

Stash Report - Oct 4

Nothing used this week, since I didn't finish any projects. But the good news is that nothing new came in, despite some *very* tempting new fabrics at the quilt store.

I have a new project in the works and fabric pulled for that, as I showed here.  And I swear that one of these days I'm going to get all caught up and actually start something new of my own. I'm really getting antsy to do that.  I need to stop joining new mysteries and block of the month projects :)

Stash totals for the year:
468 1/4 yards in
175 1/2 yards out
Total: 292 3/4 yards in

Drop by Judy's blog for more stash reports. 

Friday, 3 October 2014

Fabric for a new project

I'm participating in a mystery at guild this year (again), and we received the fabric requirements the other day. Here are my selections. The instructions were to find fabrics that fill out a lakeside cottage scene.

SAND – light brown
MOUNTAINS – dark brown
WATER - bright blue
A VALLEY and TREES – multi-coloured green
SKIES – a very dark blue and a very light blue
A COTTAGE and a BOAT – rainbow violet
SUNSHINE – a yellow family fabric that brings together all the other colours
BACKGROUND - Choose a very light fabric such as white that blends with all your other choices

Here are my fabrics, stacked in the order listed above.  Note there's a light grey right above the white - not mentioned in the main fabric list, but called out elsewhere, so I've included it here.  I might swap it for something a bit more defined from the white.  I'm also not sold on my dark blue - the gold in it may not work for me, so that one is still tentative.

I think this is going to be an interesting project, and I can't wait to get started later this month.

Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Tell it to the Stars

You may have already seen this picture, since it was on my Design Wall Monday post. But today is Tell it to the Stars day. October clue is out - and I'm already done :)  Finishing the assembly of the top is all that's on the books for October, so I can take a month off.  Coming up, Judy says just borders left - but one of them is pieced.  I hope that's November.

Drop by Judy's blog to see everyone else's beautiful tops.