Saturday 13 January 2024

Spinning Star

 My first real finish for 2024 (finishing 3 feet of binding, while productive, feels like a cheat to call it an actual UFO finish).  I started this project early on in the COVID lockdown, based on a pattern a friend showed me during a Skype session. The pattern was Hook by Schnibbles, and I merrily set about making a pile of hexies from a charm pack, with great intentions.  And then into the bin it went, to be steadfastly ignored whenever I was looking for a new project to work on.  Too many hexagons (I was in a One Block Wonder phase at the time).  

But, when we opened back up and started meeting in person again, I dragged it along to a few retreats. At the first couple, it was my fallback "if I run out of absolutely everything else, I might work on this".  Then at one retreat I actually did.  Not ran out, but ran out of interest for everything else I packed, so this one came out. Once I had all the hexies made, I actually enjoyed the process of figuring out a layout. The original one from the pattern was too much, I think because all of my hexies were pink.  It needed more colour variety. 

So I spread them out a bit, added some negative space, and created this project.  Used up the last of the fabric in the border and binding - and then realized that I had extra hexies set aside for a second quilt. Will have to finish that one up without any more of the pink, I guess.

I found some nice pink flannel for the back, but there wasn't quite enough.  After playing with options, I decided to go with the grey flannel, with a pop of pink instead.

This will head off to Victoria's Quilts this week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment