A glimpse into my quilting journey - projects, tips, techniques, and more.
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Yesterday I was whining about the difficulty I'd set for myself, with my rainbow quilt. Lots of "Y-seams" I thought. As I started to assemble it I realized that what I really have are "T-seams". Much easier to deal with. I don't have to stitch every seam to 1/4" from the corner, and hope all 3 tack points line up neatly.
Instead, I can do partial seams rather than dealing with 3 seams joining at a corner. I stitch 2 blocks together partway along their join, and then when I have the next piece in place, everything lines up for a long seam to finish off the partial one. I don't know if that makes sense, but it sure is easier to do than I was thinking.
In case it helps, here's a diagram of what I'm talking about. This is the upper left corner of the quilt, and the order in which I stitched the seams. Note that #2 and #5 are "short" seams - I did about 2/3 of the total distance in my first pass on these seams. Then, after joining a few more blocks, seam #6 extended from the end of seam 2 to the block edge (where I will next join a vertical block, again with a short seam). I'm finding that this is going much faster, and much easier, than I expected.
About 1/3 done today, and this should finish up pretty quickly I think.