Monday 19 September 2011

Design Wall Monday - Sept 19

My design wall has gone through a few transformations this week.  Last week, it looked like this.  A random assortment of many-coloured squares.  1.5" squares, that is.  Which means that a reasonably sized quilt is going to take upwards of 1600 individually cut and sewn pieces.  Maybe I should have done the math before I started on this adventure :)


During the week, it went through this phase.  I decided I liked the idea of a star, graduating from light to dark.  I plotted out an eight-pointed star based on square blocks and came up with an arrangement that I think works.

I played with the idea of a single colour for each star point, but decided that wasn't going to work.  Mostly because I don't have enough of eight different colours to make a rainbow star.

So now my design wall looks like this.  I think I've settled on a design, and here are the first 2 points for an eight-pointed star.  Unfortunately, the wall is not large enough to hold the entire star in raw form.  It's about 48 blocks across, so 72" roughed out with 1.5" squares. I'll have to work on it in pieces and wait until all the points are done before I can see it all together.


In the meantime, off the design wall I've been working on another tic-tac-toe quilt.  This one will use up the rest of the blocks I won last year.  It's ready for basting now, so I hope to get that done this week if I can make time for it.

Check out Judy's blog to see what other quilters have on their design walls this week.

9 comments:

  1. I really like the design you ended with -- the star with the gradient colors. This will be an exciting project to watch you piece together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your design wall photos show a really fun adventure! Can't wait to see how this project develops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl... I love seeing your design process thinking... so, when do we get to see the finished project? Kidding, laughing and looking forward to seeing this evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking project with lots.....of little pieces! This is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you put gridded interfacing on your design wall first, then it will be much easier to just sew it all together when you're ready! Press and go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like what you have happening there, the fade from light to dark. It will be fun to watch this one develop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very exciting. This material should be a lot of color. I viewed the whole project

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, good plan. That is an awesome start. LOTS of work, but it should be very worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be fun to see it grow.

    ReplyDelete