I spent the weekend finishing a quilting projecct so I could return the quilt to its owner. And figuring out how to hang an octagon. My diamond star quilt is going to be a class at the local quilt shop in the spring, so I had to figure out how to make it hangable at the store. Which is fine - because when it comes home it's going to hang here too, so that was just some added incentive to figure this out sooner rather than later.
I ended up running a piece of doweling across the widest part of the quilt, in addition to the top. Put a pocket at each end of the long dowel, and a short sleeve in the middle to keep it tight to the quilt. Seems to work, and I'm looking forward to my next visit to the store, to see my quilt displayed.
It's not quite as wavy as it looks in this picture - it's dragging on the floor here. But I will admit that it's not entirely as flat as it could be. But the dowels hold the top part nice and straight, and it doesn't collapse in on itself.
Stash usage this week was minimal - 3/4 yard for binding and sleeves on the diamond star quilt.
Total for the year: 232 yards. Drop by Judy's blog for more stash reports today.