Wednesday 5 September 2012

New project

Well, that didn't last too long.  Just the other day I said that I wanted to finish my brown & cream checkerboard before I started a new quilt.  Then, mid-afternoon as I put together more of the 225 blocks for this quilt, I got bored.  And I started a new quilt.

I bought a L'il Twister ruler several months ago, and still haven't used it.  So this quilt will be a twister.  And if I'm really lucky, it will be a green wreath in a red background when I'm done.

I am using it as a leader/ender for the brown quilt, so it's not *really* a new project, right?  And it's not the one I really want to start - I'm still restraining myself on that, because if I pull it out I suspect the brown quilt will find itself piled in a corner being ignored.  Want I really wanted was quick quilt I could put together and load on the longarm, for when I need a break from assembling blocks. But that's not working out, because this new one will be barely 2 feet across - not big enough to bother long arming.

However, a bit later I found my next long arm project.  This backing fabric was originally bought for another quilt, but I decided I didn't like it.  It has all the right colours for this lone star quilt, and is big enough, so it will become the backing for this one. And because it's 108" fabric, I don't have to sew anything and I can just load it up.

Now, to get over my nervousness about loading my first quilt with a significant amount of empty space that I need to fill up with nice quilting.  Ideas?  Freehand feathers are probably out, although if I mark them I might be able to pull it off.

I'm linking up at Freshly Pieced and The Needle and Thread Network today.  Drop by to see what everyone's up to.

8 comments:

  1. You sound like every quilter! Get bored with a project, so start something new! Isn't it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely quilt...I get so nervous if I try to FMQ with my domestic machine, hand quilting is so much simpler for me. I can't imagine using the longarm good luck Krista!! How about doing shadow quilting of the lone star???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly where you are with the wanting to start, but still having things to finish. Is this a weakness that quilter's have, a genetic defect? hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely work. I too know how you feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think getting bored mid way is typical for lots of us and sometimes it's hard because there are so many distractions...like other fabric lying about and stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things struck me with your post. Your nervousness about your long arm really mirrored mine with my first FMQ last weekend. And isn't it funny how we start a "quick" project because some long forgotten fabric and newly purchased pattern catches our fancy. I have gotten sucked down that path only to find the finishing is not as quick as the top creation. But I will do it again and again. Better to have "loved and impulsively created and never finished" than never to have "loved and impulsively created" at all I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW Krista, what attracted me to your post was that I thought from the thumbnail image that you had quilted a crossword puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects, good luck with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete