Friday 22 August 2014

10 Million Stitches

My longarm has a stitch counter on it, and I just passed the 10,000,000 stitch count.  2 years, 10 million stitches.  That's over 25000 yards of thread, or 14 miles of stitching.

When I bought the longarm, I had planned to use it just for my own quilts. By the time it arrived, I had 8 tops backed up, waiting to be quilted - because once I'd made the decsion to buy it, there was no way I was going to do any more quilts on my domestic machine.

But then I was convinced to do a couple of tops for friends.  And then their friends. And before I knew it, the business side of things took off last October.  I've done over 50 customer quilts since then.  I'm still loving it, although longarming for others has drastically cut into my production of quilts.  But that's ok. I'm still quilting, and instead of having to buy fabric, I'm getting paid for it :)  (No, that has not stopped me buying fabric, as those who read my stash reports know).

And now, 2 years after buying the longarm, I have only 18 tops waiting to be quilted.  Oh.  Well, at least the original 8 are not all still waiting, although I think 4 of them are.

4 comments:

  1. That is too funny!!!!! Can you sneak in your last 4 quilts that are waiting in between your new customer quilts??? And way to go girl!!!! Every stitch is another lesson learned and a growing skill base! OH!!! I just realized why the last 4 are waiting! They are wanting you to be really good at this quilting thing before they go under the needle! ;-) I think you are ready now!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great purchase that turned out to be! Any plans to pop those languishing four to the top of the list? You'll have to share which ones they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wise investment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ya just love being able to finish your own quilts!!! (ANd those of your friends....sounds like they keep you busy) Now I need to go see how many stitches I've sewn....

    ReplyDelete