Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Options for Chain Reaction

I'm still trying to decide how to put together my Chain Reaction quilt.  I tested out 3 new options for the hexagons.   The one on top is the original plan. On the left, is too boring. I really like the one in the middle, but I don't have enough of that fabric to do more than 2 or 3 hexagons, because I cut the triangles out of the same fat quarter. the one on the right isn't bad, although it would be better without the dark purple.

I think what I'm going to do is try to fussy cut the one on the right, to ensure that the really dark sections don't end up on an edge where they will meet the 9-patch blocks.  That will keep some definition between the sections. Then I should be OK, and it won't look quite so busy.  This is going to be a tiny quilt, since I'm working with 6 fat quarters and a bit of yardage.  Silly purchase on my part, but I guess I was thinking of a pattern which used a white background too.

Since it's the end of the month, I'll add my block count here for the 350 Block Prioject.

48 blocks - turquoise diamonds quilt
24 blocks - turquoise rectangles quilt
1 block - patchwork year
9 blocks - modern quilt
27 9-patch blocks for chain reaction

That's a total of 109 blocks completed this month.

January - 74
February - 69
March - 109
Total: 252 blocks so far this year.

1 comment:

  1. You got a lot done this month! Those little tiny 9-patches -- so cute! I like the one on top, but I think your fussy-cutting idea is a good one.