Wednesday, 6 February 2019

Butterfly Done!

The butterfly one-block wonder is now complete and bound!  I hunted for binding for this quilt - the grey is a little bit on the green side, and the black in the border is not a true black, so it was challenging to find a matching fabric.  A friend actually pulled out this batik for me, and it works great.

This makes my sixth finish for January, which puts me well ahead of schedule. Hopefully I can keep this up, and avoid starting new projects.

I added cubes to this quilt, which nicely filled out the number of hexagons I had to make the rows all even.  I quilted it with a pantograph called "optical illusion", which I sized and rotated to fit into the cubes, to help enhance the 3-D look.  Borders were quilted with Quilt Path, so the straight lines are nice and straight, and evenly spaced.  Getting them to the precise 45 degree angle was a challenge, but by the time I finished the fourth I had it all figured out :)

Monday, 4 February 2019

Celtic Links

I needed to design (on short notice) a mystery quilt for a guild this year. This was my first stab at it, but I decided the assembly was too much of the same thing, and not well suited to be an interesting mystery. But, I still liked the design. So I made it up from some stash fabric at one of my retreats. And eventually the pattern will get finished and posted on my Etsy store.

Saturday, 2 February 2019

One-Fabric Quilt

This poor quilt has been in my UFO pile for ages. I bought the fabric - a border print - way back in 2013 or 2014. It was going to be a final border for a mystery quilt, because it was from the same line as the rest of the fabrics I bought.  But in the end, it did not work out AT ALL. The border print was much too busy and heavy for the quilt that we ended up with (with lots of empty background space).

So, the print went into the stash.  Then one day I saw a book on "one fabric quilts" and thought it looked interesting. So I picked it up and pulled this fabric from my stash.  In the end, I didn't like the One Fabric process - it was quite wasteful. So I fudged a bit, to get the maximum blocks I could from my fabric. That meant that my blocks were all unique, rather than getting many of each of two different blocks.  So the layout is a bit creative. And you can see here how busy the fabric was, since the "background" in this quilt is quite busy.

This is now complete and bound, and will be headed out as a donation quilt to one of my guilds this month.

Thursday, 31 January 2019

Joshua's Star

This quilt is from Missouri Star Quilt Company. I did a demo for my guild last year, and picked "Joshua's Star" - mostly because I'd never seen it before. Then, when the demo was done I made enough additional blocks to make a donation for Victoria's Quilts Canada. The block uses 4 prints and 4 background layer cake squares - and makes 2 blocks each time.  So it was a quick quilt to make. 

The binding is a continuous bias binding made from 9 of the leftover layer cake squares.

Sunday, 27 January 2019

Summer Sampler

Last year, I joined in on the Summer Sampler project put on by Freshly Pieced. I decided to use my own fabric, in an effort to make a dent in my scraps. And I really liked the rainbow layout in the sample, so I tried that.

Additionally, I knew this quilt would end up as a donation, so I resized all the blocks to 10" blocks so the end result would be 50x70". That sounded great, until I figured out that taking a12" block down to 9" is easy, but 10" is a bit more tricky.

However, I persevered and this is the final result. A little scrappy binding to finish it off, and finish number two for 2019 is in the books. And it's headed off to Victoria's Quilts.

Friday, 25 January 2019

Butterfly OBW

I bought this beautiful fabric last year on my birthday. I was shop hopping with a friend, who was looking at every fabric with a view to its suitability to be a one block wonder. She found this in the last shop we visited, but was determined to hold firm and not buy any more fabric after her earlier purchases.  I couldn't let it just sit there, so I rescued it :)

There is a LOT going on here, with all of the colours.  But hopefully I can make something of it all.

I eventually decided that cubes would spice it up, and maybe give it some sort of focus, so I dug through my stash for some suitable fabrics.

The borders were purchased a few weeks later, at a completely different shop. I walked in an saw this border print and said to myself "Those look like the prefect colours for that butterfly quilt. I purchased 2 meters on a whim and a hope that I was right. Turns out, the print was from the exact same line as the original fabric!  No wonder the colours were so perfect.

I had thought at one point that I could applique some of the original, large-scale, butterflies onto the top - maybe flying out of some of the cubes. But the quilt is so busy that it turned out to be a bad idea.

I had my butterflies fussy cut already, so instead I repurposed a backing that has been hanging around for YEARS, and put some butterflies on it instead.  Quilting is now complete, and final pictures to come as soon as I get the binding on.

Wednesday, 23 January 2019

Good Fortune

Making progress on my Bonnie Hunter Good Fortune quilt. At retreat this week I got the center put together and the first three of four borders.

Now I have to make all the blocks for the final border, because I switched the colors after the reveal. I think they will be light purple/dark purple.

I love this quilt, but didn't want something really big, so I left two rows off. That kept the center balanced. But what I did not realize is that the shorter edge was then not the right size for an even number of the small bonus triangles used in border #2. So I tweaked the middle of each of those two borders to make it fit.

This also means that my last border is not going to fit, so I'll have to think about how I'll tweak that one.