Friday, 7 September 2018

A new challenge

I'm about to take a plunge that I've been thinking about for some time.  I LOVE mystery quilts, as you may know if you've followed my blog in the past.  And I like designing, although time is always at a premium so I don't do as much of that as I'd like.  Well, I was just handed an opportunity to combine those 2 loves, and design a mystery quilt for one of my guilds!  Little did I know when volunteering to be co-program director, that we were also responsible for the annual mystery, but so it is.  And I am thrilled!

I came up with 2 designs, tweaked the one that I think will be more interesting to work on, and am about to start drafting the pattern. The only catch is, the first meeting is in 1.5 weeks!  Good thing mysteries can be drafted a piece at a time :)  I'll have the fabric requirements for the first meeting, and hopefully all the steps ready for testing by the end of the month.

Ready or not, here we go!

Wednesday, 5 September 2018

Another mystery

Continuing my mystery obsession, this was a mystery quilt last year from Love Shack Quilts.  I finished all the blocks, but was not happy with the layout due to the muted tones in my quilt. So I switched up the layout, made a bunch of background blocks, and created this giant heart from all the heart blocks.

Saturday, 1 September 2018

Guild Mystery

This quilt was a mystery from one of my guilds in 2017/2018.  There was originally a second background colour, but because it was a mystery and the location of fabrics was not specified at first, I made a *really* poor choice for that fabric.  See this post for the blocks that I ended up rejecting from this quilt. Never fear - they didn't go to waste. The rejected blocks became lovely bright quilties for the local hospital.

I remade the corner blocks with the same background as the rest of the quilt, and I'm much happier with the new result. Entirely made from stash, including the backing, I'll donate this to the guild's charity program this month.

The backing was made from some fabric I had in my stash. It wasn't quite big enough, so I pieced all the leftover bits of my fabrics together and included them.