Monday 18 March 2024

2023 Quilt Along



For the past several years, I have designed a quilt - either a mystery quilt, or a quilt along/block of the month - for a couple of guilds I belong to.  This year's quilt-along was a bit challenging. Usually I use EQ8 for designing, but it doesn't play nicely with non-standard settings, and this one was definitely non-standard. So I reverted to the trust pencil and graph paper to sketch it out.   And I enlisted the help of a pattern tester to make sure it was correct, and achievable.


This one is called "A Wing and a Prayer", because I mentioned to a quilting friend that I pulled fabric from my stash that "looked like enough" to make my version as I designed it. So, before I knew the fabric requirements.  I got lucky for the most part.  I ran out of background twice, but my fill-in matches pretty well, so you can hardly tell. And the binding is not what I would have chosen, but it was what I had enough of to make it. So it has a little flange of my 3rd background fabric, and the main binding is the blue.

The center section is made as a square, then turned on point, and the corners with the 9-patches were added, and finally the top/bottom border. The quilt ended up 66x90" - a bit bigger than I planned, so I also offered instructions & fabric requirements for smaller versions - a baby quilt that ends with the triple border around the center square, and a lap quilt without the top & bottom borders.

There are 2 months left in the quilt along, and I can't wait to see what everyone has done with it.


2 comments: