Monday 18 December 2023

Wedding Quilt

 My son got married last year, so I asked him and his wife if they would like a quilt. I was fully ready for a "no thank you", because I gave them a quilt at Christmas the year before, and my son has 2 or 3 others from when he was at school/graduation.  But, they said yes!

I don't quilt to order, but I asked what colours they liked, and was told "happy, spring colours" and her favourite colour is yellow.  

The Alaska quilt had been crossing my feed a lot around then, and I really liked it, so I decided that was going to be their quilt.  I changed up the colours from "Alaska Rainbow" to add in more yellow and highlight the center a bit more.  I also needed it bigger, so it would fit their queen size bed, so I designed borders for it.

I started and finished the top (minus the borders) in one weekend at a retreat.  The borders got added at my next retreat. I custom quilted it, because a wedding quilt needed special handling, and here it is, all complete.


I love this backing. When I was making the quilt, I knew exactly what I wanted to use on the back - I put this - in black - on the back of a different quilt about 4-5 years ago.  Which of course means it's likely out of print. But the internet is a wonderful thing. I managed to find a shop, in my province even, that still had some so I ordered immediately.  It's called "Radiance" by Henry Glass, and it's perfect.  I used the leftover to make a storage bag for the quilt.

Radiance Quilt Back Fabric: Radiance, White/Bright (per 1/4 metre)


1 comment: