Monday, 25 February 2013

Design Wall Monday - Feb 25

I spent yesterday playing with my new Hunter Star ruler.  I love how easy this is - all those 8 pointed stars, and not a Y-seam in sight!  I bought this ruler a couple of weeks ago, and pulled out some fabric on Saturday to try it out. 

I bought the green & pink fabrics last year in Texas, so I'm really happy to have a project for them.  And, I have apparently once again run close to the edge on my fabric.  I redesigned the borders based on the amount of green I have left, because when I laid the whole quilt out in Electric Quilt, I didn't have enough fabric in my stash for what I had originally planned.  When the quilt is done, I'll have less than 4" of the green in my stash.  That's actually good news, because this really isn't my style of fabric anyway.

There is a lot of waste with this method, however.  I supposed without that, I'd have had more of the green left over.

I expect to get this quilt off the wall by the end of the week, and hopefully have the borders on it by the end of next weekend.  The ruler really did make this go quickly, and easily.  Although, when planning partial blocks for the pieced border, it is important to sketch out the plan, so you don't short-change yourself.  There are a few "extra" seams in some of the border blocks :(


  1. Thanks for the information on the Hunter Star ruler.....

    The quilt looks great and you are moving along quickly.....

    Looking forward to seeing it with borders next Monday.

  2. It looks great. I will have to look for the ruler :)

  3. love it,this ruler looks like a must have!