Happy, happy day. It's a holiday today, and I plan to spend the whole day in my sewing room. It's been a therapy weekend, and an extra day of sewing is just what I needed.
I pulled out a couple of half-finished projects - victims of my mother's visit in June when I cleaned up my sewing room. Time to get back on track and finish these two mystery quilts. The first one is up on the design wall. I stopped right at the last clue. But now that I pull the fabric she calls for, for the borders, I don't like it at all :(
Apparently I hated it so much that I didn't even take a picture of it. It looks like this one, except the blue was a green fabric instead. I tried replacing it with the blue, but I really don't like the way the border fabric plays with the dark brown. They blend too much. I really wish the border fabric was the same as the focus fabric, but it's not and I don't have nearly enough of that left. And since these are all batiks, finding a matching fabric at this point is pretty much a lost cause.
So I put up a few other choices. First, I tried adding an additional border in the green, to help the outer border fabric. I like that effect, but now I really don't like the blue in there.
While it hangs out, I can contemplate the big empty spaces. They seem a bit lost and lonely - like maybe they need applique added to spruce them up. Of course, applique is not my favourite activity, but Ricky Tims did provide some inspiration and a desire to try new things. So something might happen there.
Check out Judy's blog for more design walls today. And leave your thoughts on borders & applique in my comments below :)