Six, to be exact. This quilt started off to be a nice simple bear's paw. It's based on a design Judy at Patchwork Times shared last year. I've never done a Bear's Paw, so I wanted to try it. I figured out the sizes, since the bear paw block is based on a 7-patch, and the alternate block is based on an 8-patch (no one ever said this would be easy). My design is a bit different than Judy's, bypassing the half-bear paw blocks that she used. Of course, that left me with half-chains which were just as much trouble :)
I did seminole piecing of the diamonds, which saved me a ton of fabric over my original square-in-a-square plan.And the coping strip I ended up needing was a simple 1/4" added to one of the borders on the top & bottom of the quilt. Bonus! I could end with a 1.5" outer border. Maybe not ideal - I would have liked closer to 2 or 2.5", but I'll take what I can get in this case. I have 1 strip of fabric, 1.75" wide and 20" long left. I'll have to be creative when I'm ready to bind this one :)
I'm linking up at Work in Progres Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced and the Needle and Thread Network.