Friday, March 22, 2013

Fixed!

And finished. Well, almost - just the binding left to go.

Dancing with the Stars has a repaired border, has been back on the long arm, and is now off.  All quilting complete!  I'm pretty happy with the fix.  I thought about mending the hole - received several suggestions on ways to do that - but decided I would always see it.  And because the feathers are so open, I was afraid that the mend would be in one of the big open spaces - leaving it subject to fraying down the road.

I decided my best option was to un-sew a bit more, and cut out a rectangular section of border.  I replaced about a 1 1/2" wide section with a new border section, stitched the borders back together, and quilted it.  If you look closely, the piece is visible, but I think if you aren't looking for it, it's not obvious.  And I'm confident that this section will stand up to use just as well as the rest of the quilt.


Now, on to binding!

3 comments:

  1. My! You really have to know where to look to find the "fix it" rectangle. You did a great job repairing it. I too was scared of some of the suggested ideas; the hole fraying or the batting coming out of the hole in the everyday uses, etc. It was extra work for you but in the long run, it will pay you back. In the sense that you won't have to fix it again in the future. The quilt is so beautiful and colorful, no one will notice the rectangle in the border. Great job Krista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I bet that in another month that you will even have trouble finding the repair. It looks great. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete