Tuesday, July 21, 2015
This quilt started as a challenge at a retreat in April 2014. We received a packet of 10" squares and some background fabric, and instructions to make these star blocks. There was enough fabric in the kit to make 4 blocks and assemble them as shown here.
The blocks are made by layering two 10" squares, and sewing a 1/4" seam on each of the 4 edges. The square is then cut on both diagonals, producing 4 half-square triangles from each pair of 10" squares. Two squares of each of two colours, plus 2 background squares makes all the half-square triangles for one star.
I decided to make this quilt into a rectangle later, so before the retreat ended I picked up one more packet of squares & background for myself. Then, I made 8 smaller squares, using 5" squares as the base. The quilt is now 52x74", just the right size for a donation to Victoria's Quilts. So in April 2014 I folded the quilt up and put it somewhere safe, until I could get it onto the longarm.
Earlier this year, while organizing my quilts and moving my sewing room, I realized that I had NO idea where this quilt had gone. It was not, as I thought, folded up neatly and stacked in my pile of "to be quilted" projects. And after moving everything in the room, it didn't seem to be anywhere else, either. I gave it up for (temporarily) lost and moved onto other projects. But 4 weeks later, it turned up. Neatly folded inside a backing that was already prepared for it - and then placed back onto the shelf of backing fabrics.
I put the binding on (by machine) this week, and have added this quilt to my donation stack for Victoria's Quilts.
Update: This quilt has been renamed "Gananoque Stars". Looking through my notes, I see that Challenge Stars was completed in 2009. So, because this particular challenge was started at a quilting retreat in Gananoque that is its new name.