Since this seems to be popular around the web, I thought I would start my own version of Throw Back Thursday on my blog. Every week I'll pick one of my quilts and revisit it. It might be a description of why I made it, how it was created, or pretty much anything related one of my previous projects. I have 99 to choose from, according to my journal so this should be fun. Please join in. Dig up a quilt from your past (or someone else's) and blog about it. You can post a link in the comments to your own TBT blog post.
here after it was done. This quilt is about 24" square, and hangs on the wall in my sewing room.
I finished this in 2005, and then tried to get up my nerve to buy all the fabric I needed for my king size version and start that. Because I was working without a pattern, I had to do my own size calculations, and those kept throwing me off. I wanted the star to sit on top of the bed, and kept second-guessing my calculations for it. Then, life changed and the project was shelved for a while. Divorce, move, and adjusting to single life took over.
When I revised my plan for this quilt, I no longer had a king sized bed to cover, so I redid the calculations yet again and sized it for a queen. The piecing of this quilt predates my blogging days - wow, I hadn't realized that. So I have no pictures or record of the process. The center of this quilt went together nicely. Having a miniature sample make this easier - I could refer to it to make sure I was keeping my strip sets in line.
Then things got interesting. I recall that I had not planned the borders for this quilt. I got as far as knowing that I wanted the main star to fit on top of the queen bed, and about a 10 inch border on all sides. So, when the center star was done I started thinking about next steps.
I finally decided on the Ohio Stars for the border. They are all pieced from leftover fabric from the main center. The quilt could have been a bit larger - a white finishing border perhaps. After quilting and the first washing, the design is smaller and the borders ride up higher on the bed.
A finished picture of this quilt apparently never made it onto my blog, so let's remedy that now.
Nope, that's not finished either. We'll have to go with a photo of a well used quilt, 6 years down the road. The quilt has held up reasonably well, considering I have 3 cats who get free reign onto the bed and any associated bed covering/quilt. Some of the stitching is breaking - I attribute that to using cheap cotton thread (I didn't know any better) and stitching straight lines on the quilt bias. Quilt stretches, thread doesn't, so the thread breaks. My 3 most-used early quilts all have this issue.
Quilting of this was done on my domestic machine, with a jury-rigged setup in my sewing room. I created a raised table to help support the quilt, and turned the machine 90 degrees so it was oriented like a regular longarm machine. A better description of the setup is here. This worked out pretty well, and I used that setup for several years, until I bought my Handi Quilter long arm in 2012.
(The colour is horrible here - serves me right for taking pictures in the middle of the night).