Monday 15 April 2013

Design Wall Monday - April 15

My design wall today has the center for the Border Creek Station mystery.  I really like the blocks with blue in them. The others I'm not too sure about.  The overall effect in the photo is much more striking than I was seeing in person, however, so it will probably grow on me.  And those big pale areas will be perfect for some detailed quilting.

Other than this, I spent the weekend washing fabric.  One piece of fabric, in fact.  After 8 washes, it is still bleeding.  I had originally bought this fabric as the backing for my Dancing with the Stars quilt.  I am *so* glad I decided to use something else (some flannel batik I found).  I washed this 7 times in hot water. Then tried to set the colour with vinegar and salt.  And washed it again.  Then washed it in cold.  It is still bleeding.  Less each time, but I am getting really tired of this. 

The picture shows the colour catchers I used in most of the washes.  The last on the right is white one, never through a wash. Beside that, is the one from the cold water wash.  And the rest are from the various hot water washes prior to that. I think one more round through a cold wash
is all it gets.  Then, if it still bleeds, it will become part of a monochromatic blue quilt, with "COLD WASH ONLY" instructions.

It is a shame, because the fabric is beautiful.  And I have 7 yards of it.

Drop by Judy's blog today for more design walls.

8 comments:

  1. I had indigo fabric that bled like tha and finally fixed it with a product from my LQS. It is called Synthapol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you top, yes the blue really makes it shine. I also love the big blank spaces for some creative quilting. I had the same thing with my hexie blocks. In person I wasn't really feeling it but when I took a picture I was getting a bit more excited. Love how that works. Great top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt and when I first looked at the photo I thought I bet she is going to quilt feather wreaths! Too bad your fabric is bleeding so much but how smart of you to wash it first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is fantastic. And as you said the lighter areas are great places for extra quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a red like that. I gave up too and warned the recipient. They never had another issue. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric is gorgeous, it's a shame that the color doesn't want to stay on the cloth. Have you tried using Retayne? I love the mystery quilt--what a great block combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might be too late for this but this is the process that I use and it might work for you:
    http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_trips_in_fiber/2011/08/color-fastness-of-hand-dyed-fabrics.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Border Creek Station Mystery quilt is looking great. Love all the subtle color shifts you've added.

    ReplyDelete