Tuesday, February 13, 2018

String Star

A customer brought me a quilt which used this block, and I wanted to try it out. I made one adjustment, to reduce the number of y-seams I had to deal with (the background sections are all pieced).  I thought I'd make a quilt of 6 of these for a donation project. Since the finished (I thought) at 16", that would be just about perfect.

When I finished this block, I discovered that it does not finish at 16". It finishes at 26". So 6 is going to be too big for a donation. One is too big for a quiltie. And 4 will require some serious border work.  I'm still pondering the fate of this block. But in the meantime, I do kind of like it, and it was a great way to use up some of my 1.5" strips.  Maybe I'll just make a pile of the star points and create some lemoyne stars instead.  They would be a bit smaller and could maybe become a quilt.

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting block; too bad it's too big. Reducing the size of the center would throw off the size of the diamonds. You'll think of something, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete