Monday 10 March 2014

Design Wall Monday - March 10

I finally finished the backing for my rainbow quilt.  I didn't have enough of the black, even after adding all the graduated squares into it, so I pieced a couple of other bits into the mix.  This is ready for quilting now, and I even have the black batting.  Just have to find time to fit it in, between customer quilts.

And I started a new project yesterday. I was gifted 46 granny squares at a sew-in day the other week.  So I pulled them out and started putting together a charity quilt. I made 1 extra block, and I have enough now for one large and one small quilt for Victoria's Quilts.  It is interesting though - swaps are always a challenge. These blocks range in size from 8" to 9.5" finished, so setting them is going to be a challenge. For the large quilt, I managed to find enough blocks that were close to the expected 8.5" finished size, so I'll be able to put a coloured sashing between them.

The smaller quilt is getting the cast-offs - so I'll have to do something a bit more creative, to adjust that 1.5" size difference in the blocks.

Drop by Judy's blog to see what everyone else has on their design walls.

7 comments:

  1. Your backing looks like a telescope or a microscope. So much fun! Your Granny Square quilt will be lovely. The colors just pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Granny Square blocks are so cheerful. They are beautiful against the white background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the Granny Squares. Can you add more background to bring them up to size? They will make nice springy quilts for somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the granny squares, bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary, you could add white around each block to make them all the same size. Would look fantastic, too, with more white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. frame the blocks with a neutral fabric and trim them all to the same size, and then sashing of the same fabric. you can add diagonal cornerstones to distract the eye but still have the album blocks be the focus. I love album blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt - cheery, summery colours. Bet it'll fabulous when it's finished. xCathy

    ReplyDelete