Sunday 24 November 2013

Stash Report Sunday - Nov 24

I spent the weekend finishing a quilting projecct so I could return the quilt to its owner. And figuring out how to hang an octagon.  My diamond star quilt is going to be a class at the local quilt shop in the spring, so I had to figure out how to make it hangable at the store.  Which is fine - because when it comes home it's going to hang here too, so that was just some added incentive to figure this out sooner rather than later.
 
I ended up running a piece of doweling across the widest part of the quilt, in addition to the top.  Put a pocket at each end of the long dowel, and a short sleeve in the middle to keep it tight to the quilt.  Seems to work, and I'm looking forward to my next visit to the store, to see my quilt displayed.

It's not quite as wavy as it looks in this picture - it's dragging on the floor here.  But I will admit that it's not entirely as flat as it could be.  But the dowels hold the top part nice and straight, and it doesn't collapse in on itself.
Stash usage this week was minimal - 3/4 yard for binding and sleeves on the diamond star quilt.


Total for the year: 232 yards.  Drop by Judy's blog for more stash reports today.

7 comments:

  1. You could put a dowel in a pocket across the bottom to tighten up that bottom edge. Since you're doing dowels, anyway! I've see that in some show quilts. I think just the weight of the edges hanging down on the sides will naturally make the bottom a bit wavy, even if it is fairly flat to begin with. Just saying. Beautiful quilt, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really beautiful! Great work on it. ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so very striking...and the dowel in the middle is pretty inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quilt. When I first saw it it struck me that your dreambird shawl was the same colors. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty quilt and your hanging techniques look like they work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt! It should be a popular class with that as the sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the way the blue runs through the center of your star. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete