Monday 2 February 2015

Design Wall Monday

I have an almost-finished top on my design wall today. I've been working this week on assembling my block of the week project. I decided to go with a rectangular quilt with 48 blocks, rather than the original 49.

The quilt is upside down on my wall, so the borders here are also upside down.  The border panel on the right/bottom of this photo was the inspiration for the colours in this quilt.  But because the fabric was printed with only 1 border strip rather than two symmetric ones, I only bought enough for 2 sides of the quilt (buying 8 meters of fabric just for the border strip seemed excessive, even to me :) )

The other borders will be from the rest of that print - the wild circles you see on the left.  Unfortunately it appears I did not buy the inner border fabric at the same time.  That would be fine on the right, but I think the fabric on the left needs a small solid border between it and the quilt. So I'll have to head over to the quilt shop and find something tomorrow.

Drop by Judy's blog to see what everyone else has on their design wall this week.

I'm also linking up over at WIPs Be Gone.

8 comments:

  1. That is a lot of work, but is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pops of pink and red in your blocks. It is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome sampler quilt. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be gorgeous! I love how the bright blocks pop out against the more muted border print, kind of the way a museum frame enhances a painting without fighting for too much attention. I'm here via Design Wall Monday and I'm glad to have found you. And now I, too, am headed out to the quilt shop because I did not buy enough fabric for my quilt. Fingers crossed that they still have more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow, that's magnificent. I haven't visited in a while and missed your working on it. I have that border fabric and thought the same thing. I like your idea of using the body fabric on the other borders. And, yes, I think it needs an inner border, at least of the sides with the body fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and the border print is fabulous, too! I'm keen to see how you handle the top and bottom bordrs. I see a lot of piecing in this quilt -wow. I invite you to link to WIPs Be Gone with your almost finished top. Ends tonight midnight. I know everyone will be thrilled with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this one!! You did a fantastic job on this quilt and yes, 8 meters for a bit of border is a bit excessive - I wonder what I would have done.......??? I like what you are doing with this top.

    ReplyDelete