Sunday, July 28, 2013

Stash Report - July 28

I pulled a quilt out of the closet yesterday, intending to load it on the long arm. It's so warm these days, and being in the basement is the best choice - and I keep telling myself I need to catch up on my quilting.  Plus, I need to ponder options for the borders on my labyrinth quilt. So, I pulled out an old quilt that has been waiting for attention for at least 2 years.  And I hated it :(  I had finished the quilt with a narrow dark border, and it just felt unfinished to me.  And then I laid it on the bed it was intended for, and it was too narrow (oh good, I can add another border) and too long (rats!).

Here's a picture of the quilt as it was when I pulled it out of the closet.  75"x95" - I have no idea what I was thinking when I made it that size.

I pondered my options for a few minutes, but since I'd already decided that it needed another border outside the dark strip it was a pretty easy decision.  Out came the seam ripper, and rather than spending the day in the nice cool basement quilting, I spent it taking a row out of the quilt, and making the borders fit again.  Of course this was a pieced border.  And 1 1/2 border blocks equals one center row - so removing the row turned out not to be as simple as I first thought.  But it's done now, and ready for the long arm. 


Binding for Hunter's star - came from the offcuts on the backing, so I guess it's already been counted.
New border for storm at sea - 1 1/2 yards
backing for storm at sea - 7 yards

Total used this week - 8 1/2 yards
Total stash usage this year: 158 1/4 yards out

Drop by Judy's blog for more stash reports today.

1 comment: