Friday 25 January 2019

Butterfly OBW

I bought this beautiful fabric last year on my birthday. I was shop hopping with a friend, who was looking at every fabric with a view to its suitability to be a one block wonder. She found this in the last shop we visited, but was determined to hold firm and not buy any more fabric after her earlier purchases.  I couldn't let it just sit there, so I rescued it :)

There is a LOT going on here, with all of the colours.  But hopefully I can make something of it all.

I eventually decided that cubes would spice it up, and maybe give it some sort of focus, so I dug through my stash for some suitable fabrics.

The borders were purchased a few weeks later, at a completely different shop. I walked in an saw this border print and said to myself "Those look like the prefect colours for that butterfly quilt. I purchased 2 meters on a whim and a hope that I was right. Turns out, the print was from the exact same line as the original fabric!  No wonder the colours were so perfect.

I had thought at one point that I could applique some of the original, large-scale, butterflies onto the top - maybe flying out of some of the cubes. But the quilt is so busy that it turned out to be a bad idea.

I had my butterflies fussy cut already, so instead I repurposed a backing that has been hanging around for YEARS, and put some butterflies on it instead.  Quilting is now complete, and final pictures to come as soon as I get the binding on.





2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! The border print adds a glow around the edge and brings out the glow-y parts in the center. I love cubes in a OBW, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fabric has been a great success for a OBW. How lucky to find the perfect border fabric

    ReplyDelete