Saturday 26 September 2009

Show us your stash

Show your stash, Judy says.   Well, I'm having mixed feelings about this, but I've decided to play along.

Here (photo on left) is my main quilting stash. By that I mean, fabric purchased specifically for quilting (with one or two exceptions down near the bottom).  Not too bad, and reasonably organized - for now.   My stash goes through phases - during the initial creation of a quilt, up to 50% of my stash will end up strewn around my sewing room.  So, I regulary tidy up, and fortunately Judy caught me right after a clean up  :)

I peeked at everyone else's stash photos.  Some of those stashes are incredible. They have better fabric selection than my fabric stores!   Some put me to shame, and others make me feel pretty darn organized.  There are as many stash storage arrangements as there are quilters, apparently.

Ah, but that is not my only fabric.  Once upon a time, I made children's clothes.  And I still have a pile of stash from that adventure.  All 100% cotton, so suitable for quilting.

These cubby holes are built into the bottom of my cutting table - which is designed to be the depth of a bolt of fabric.  These are my woven cottons. All kids' prints, so I need to make a lot of quilties to use up this stash.

And over here, are knits and fleece.  Oh, and some corduroy.  Not exactly suitable for quilting.  But once in a while I use some anyway - makes the job challenging, to figure out how to quilt a knit fabric.  My very first quilt in fact was 100% corduroy.  Now that is one heavy quilt.  Maybe I'll blog about that one day soon.

So, this is my stash, in September 2009.  Judy's goal is to organize by January 2010, and make a dent in stash by end of 2010.   My goal is a bit different.  My stash (of quilting fabric) is pretty small - so making a dent in that part isn't that important.  And it is as organized as it's likely to get.  On the other hand, I want to make a serious dent in the fabric hiding under the cutting table.  I think I'll make myself a goal of a quiltie a month from now until the end of 2010.  That should make an impression in the kiddie print stash.

5 comments:

  1. You are far more organized than I am. I love your storage units that store bolts of fabric. Where did you find such great storage?

    From my perspective you are very organized. And I think it is wonderful you are willing to share insights on your sewing room & stash.

    Right now my sewing room is in chaos and I'm not even allowed to walk into this room without signing a liability release form. But this coming week I'm hoping to spend some time organizing & cleaning, before I start another project.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great cutting area and I love the cubby holes! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great stashes of fabrics! Looks like you have a great space and table area for your quilting needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nicely organized. love the cubbies under the cutting table.

    ReplyDelete