Sunday, 19 March 2017

Peace, Love, Quilt mystery

I've been working on a mystery quilt from Love Shack quilts since last October. The basic blocks and layout were finally revealed a couple of weeks ago. The blocks were set in an alternating pattern. I looked at it, and thought I'd like to try something different, so I arranged my blocks in this layout.

It didn't really work for me, because the large heart was not as visible as I had hoped it would be. But I liked hte idea, so I did some playing around on EQ with alternatives.

I came up with this layout, which I definitely love! However, it required a "few" additional blocks.

I spent the past 2 weeks making 9 more border blocks, 50 neutral 16-patch blocks, and 46 neutral 8-patch blocks (for the outer border). I wasn't sure I'd ever finish, but strip piecing is your friend and I managed to get everything done.  I'm pretty happy with the result. Now it goes into the pile to be quilted - and to find a backing for this 96" square quilt.


  1. Wow it is a great quilt, you did a wonderful job with the new layout.
    Have a wonderful week.

  2. When I saw the first layout, before reading on, I thought oh, no, the heart doesn't show up! While I'm sure the intended mystery layout would have been lovely, your solution is superb.

  3. Wow. I love what you did with the blocks. Worth the time to make all those extras.

  4. You crack me up!! You make a full quilt top, think "I can do this better", and before you know it "Ta-Dah", a fabulous version of the original appears. You are an inspiration!