Wednesday 30 November 2011

November UFO

It's DONE!  This poor little feathered star has been in my sewing room since 2006, I think.  It was a summer challenge at quilt guild - create a star (any star) using 2 provided fabrics and any others you wanted.  For some odd reason, I wanted to make a feathered star - it seemed like a fun challenge  Silly me, being new to the whole quilting scene still, did not realize that feathered stars are generally made quite large.  The challenge was a 12" block.  So when I couldn't dig up a pattern on-line for a 12" feathered star, I drafted my own.

Those feathers are really tiny! This block was made as a practice block. I thought it best to try out the pattern, before cutting into the challenge fabrics.  So I pulled some fabric from my (small at the time) collection, and got to work.  Once it was done, I had the courage to make the real block, and this poor little fella was stuffed onto the shelves, and long ignored.  Thanks to Judy's UFO challenge, it is now a completed quiltie, ready for donation to the local children's hospital.

The quilting is a combination of feathers, meander, and straight line quilting (in the border).  I'm getting braver with my quilting these days.

Cari is showing off the backing fabric.  I picked up a lovely bright yellow print on my last stash building trip, and it seemed just right for this colourful star.

This is the actual challenge block I made, way back then.  It won the challenge and then became the center of the quilt made from all of the challenge blocks.


12 comments:

  1. No kidding you won the challenge - a 12" feathered star. Crazy! But it looks amazing - both of them. I love the way you finished the UFO with the diamond border. I think Cari agrees (or maybe she's waiting for you to turn your back so she can wrestle it into submission like my kitties like to do?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, that feathered star is gorgeous! You are one brave lady! LOL

    Beautiful quilts!

    Bari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...A lovely happy ending. Although I only got 6 UFOs done...at least I got six! The UFO Challenge was great. You are definitely a gifted quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the finish. Beautiful quilts. I haven't tried Feathered Star yet...maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome block! I would never have attempted anything like that in my early quilting days. lol No wonder you won the challenge! Both quilts are gorgeous, and the one you just finished is so cheerful. It will be treasured by whoever receives it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh...WOW! I think that's the only word that comes to mind. I remember the start of the feathered star and your finished product is amazing. Remind me to discuss a possible opportunity in 2012 to display and potentially sell your quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to do three feathered stars for a table runner - well, it ended up a wall hanging with one star. Those feathered stars are hard. Congratulations on yours, it is fantastic, and I know what I am talking about. Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful work. i love both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were crazy!! But I love it!!! the colors are great and the quilting is just perfect for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Both of your quilts are beautiful! Absolutely awesome job! I have a much bigger feathered star UFO that is lanquishing in the cupboard. I can't even imagine 12 inches--so difficult! I didn't fully realize how small twelve inches really is until the photo with your cat!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't you the brave one. Wonderful that you won the challenge being the new quilter at the time. I really like the bright tester as it seems Cari does too.

    ReplyDelete