Sunday, April 16, 2017

Starry Beginnings - done!

The binding is on, just in time!  I finished this quilt - which I have decided to call "Starry Beginnings" - in the nick of time to submit for our quilt show.  And then I waited (somewhat) patiently.  And I just found out - it's IN!! So, if you are heading to the CQA show in Toronto in June, my quilt will be part of the Modern Guild exhibit, hosted by the Ottawa Modern Quilt Guild.

I pulled one of my usual stunts - when I put the quilt together I used every inch of fabric I had for the background. In fact, I sized the final pieces to do just that.  And then I looked at it and realized I had not reserved anything for binding.  So that took some thinking.

I decided to continue the 'unfinished' theme, by binding two edges, and putting a facing on the other two.  If you look closely, you can see that in this photo.  I considered using a different colour for binding, but could not find anything I liked, so I made due with the scraps I had left of the background fabric.  Fortunately I had a few partial strips which were just wide enough to work for the binding. I think I had 6" leftover when I was done.


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting into the show! I love your concept and the execution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like cutting it close. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starry Beginnings is beautiful. Congratulations on making it into the show in June! Now you can breathe a sigh of relief that you had 6" of binding fabric to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Krista.....your quilting is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete