Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Woven Lattice quilt
I had set aside a backing for it, but wasn't really happy with it when I pulled it out. I had the perfect colour flannel available, but wasn't sure there was going to be enough. So I washed and dried it, measured, and it was 1.5" larger than my note said the top was. Not great, but I can deal with that, I thought. So I loaded it up on the longarm, laid out the batting, and dropped the quilt top on top of it. And it was about 2" wider than the backing :(
I hated the thought of removing the whole thing from the frame, so I thought about it a bit, remembered that I had a similar colour flannel in a different pattern somewhere, and went hunting. What I found was of course that I had used that flannel on another project. But I had a 5" strip, 80" long left over - perfect! I stitched it onto the side, layered everything up again and went to town with my quilting.
Fortunately, I had thought to save some fabric with the quilt top for making binding. So I joined the strips and got the binding onto the quilt right away.
This poor quilt is finally out of the 'to be quilted' pile and into the 'to be bound' pile. Hopefully it won't spend another 4 years there.