I just calculated the size of the tumbling block quilt I started this month. It began as an experiment and a way to use up some of my scraps. I picked the block size pretty much randomly, and figured I'd let the blocks define the size of the quilt. Well, now that I have a few more blocks done, I laid a few out and did a quick calculation. Approximately 160 blocks to make a 30" x 40" quilt. Less a few, since one corner will be 'fractured'. But still. Sure am glad I didn't pick 1 or 1.5 inches for the diamonds.
160 - that's way more little blocks than I was expecting to make. This may require a bit more patience than I expected. I have 43 blocks complete. Another 15-20 cut out and ready to piece. That doesn't even get me half-way, and I've pretty much exhausted all the obvious colour triples in my stash. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper next week.
To get a break from diamonds and Y-seams, I started planning my next
quilt :) In my own defense, it will be (mostly) a stash quilt. In
fact, it will be one that I started planning about 4 years ago - I'll
finally cut into the fabric I bought for a kaleidoscope quilt.