Wednesday 5 August 2009

Quilt Donations

For many years I considered the idea of taking up quilting as a hobby. But, I wondered, what would I do with the quilts? There are only so many that 1 person can have, after all. And family would soon get tired of being buried under my creations.

This problem solved itself once I started quilting. There are many charities out there who are happy to receive quilts. And quilters are some of the most generous people I know. They will spend hours & hours working on a quilt, and then donate it without a qualm, and with no expectations of reward, to a needy group.

Some of my favourite quilt recipients:

thequilt.com - a charitable organization that takes donated quilts, and auctions them off. The proceeds all go to breast cancer support projects - supporting people and families dealing with cancer.

Children's hospitals - they will take small quilts (as small as 24" square) for premature babies. Also, older children who are in the hospital love to receive quilts that they can cuddle.

The Linus Project is one group who donates quilts and blankets for chilren. They have many resources on their web site, including quilt patterns.

Victoria's quilts - in both the US and Canada. They take quilt donations and distribute them to people undergoing cancer treatment.

What do you do with your quilts?

No comments:

Post a Comment