Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another UFO off the list

I finished my star quilt.  I want to jump up and down and repeat that about 3 times.  It is done!  This quilt has been sitting in my finishing drawer for over a year waiting for me to tack the binding down.  Not sure why, other than I took a long quilting hiatus and this poor thing got stranded in a drawer.  Well, it's done now.

This was one of my first attempts at free motion quilting with some design, rather than meander or stippling.  I really like the quilting I did in the stars.



Unfortunately, the rest of the quilt did not come out quite so well.  The back has a few puckers, and the leaves in the inner border are pretty wonky in some places.  The outer border was my first ever attempt at feathers.  Perhaps some more practice is in order.

This was a mystery quilt.  The guidelines suggested a light background, but I chose to reverse the colours and used a light foreground and darker background. Mostly because I didn't have enough of the green fabric to do it the other way around.  I really like the end result from that fabric choice.

I added a few extra stars to the middle to make it a bit larger and use up the last of the green fabric. This quilt may not be my best work, but Caramel seems to think it is quite acceptable :) And I think it will do quite well as a cuddle blanket for watching TV.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did with this quilt! Ingenious to reverse the colors, and I would have never thought the light colored borders would look good but that is awesome!

    Your quilting is wonderful also for a first time not doing stipples and stuff. I wish mine had looked that good the first time!

    Bari

    ReplyDelete