Wednesday 8 June 2011

Finished

I finished my "Over the Rainbow" quilt this week.  I couldn't figure out what to do with my Moda jelly roll, but a few weeks ago I decided I needed to do something to get it off my shelf.  So I came up with a rectangular block, and a rainbow placement.  Now that it's done I really like this quilt, although I didn't expect to when I first started working with the solids.

I quilted it with free motion wavy lines, following the orientation of the blocks.  Each colour is quilted in a matching colour thread, and I'm really happy with how the quilting came out, and how nicely it shows on the quilt.  The binding is made from the leftover strips.

The backing is the last piece of my favourite children's print.  I've had this in my stash for years, and finally gave up trying to use it in a quilt.  The colours are just too bold for that to work.  But as a backing, I think it's great.  But there are no more colourful turtles in my stash anymore, other than a few scrap pieces.  I'm sad to see them go.

Although I hate to part with this quilt, I don't have young children in the house anymore so I think I'll send it down to Judy for the victims of the Joplin tornado.

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I'm all about rectangles and I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete