On my needles today, and for the past week is a pair of socks. When I saw this yarn, I thought I would love it - it looked like it would knit up mostly cream, with dots of red/blue in it. Not even close. First, the two socks don't look like the even belong to the same pair. Apparently the yarn is much darker at one end of the skein than it is at the other. My only hope that this will be a useable pair of socks is that I am working towards the middle - so at some point they have to end up with a reasonably balanced amount of colour between the 2 socks. I'm hoping that with shoes on, they'll look like they go together.
The other disappointment is the pattern. I decided to do cables, because I've never done that before. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or knitting too tightly, or if it's just supposed to be this way. But passing the cables is *really* hard. Especially the center cable, which is 4 stitches on the cable needle. I can barely make the sock stretch to pick up the stitches when I switch. And of course I should have realized - the guage on the cables is smaller than stocking stitch. So I'm not even sure I'll be able to wear these when they are done.
Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm not one to give up, and I have no other use for this yarn anyway, so these socks will get completed.