Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Pincushion / Thead catcher
I've been wanting to make myself a thread catcher to have near my long arm, and I found this pattern online. The bonus is the little pockets for all the tools. Now I can stop losing my scissors, and marker, and seam ripper, and everything else.
Over the weekend, I pulled out a couple of fat quarters and got to work. Of course, the first thing I did was redesign the pattern :) I didn't have any felt for the pincushion, so I just made the top a solid piece. And I had to shorten some parts (the pattern calls for 23", but I was using fat quarters) so I made the pocket out of 2 colours rather than one piece. And I wanted more pockets, so I made that section wider (almost too wide, once I realized that it was supposed to fit under the pin cushion). And then by the time I got to doing the bag, I didn't have enough fabric to cut the facing as big as the pattern called for, so it's a narrow 1/4".
Even with all the redesigns, this was pretty simple to put together. I adjusted as I went and didn't run into any snags. I did discover after it was done that the pincushion is s bit squishy. It probably should have been stuffed more - I may go back in there and add some stuffing later, but for now this is all setup by my longarm, so I can stop losing stuff and stop collecting thread piles on the table. The removable bag is a nice feature - should make it easy to empty.