Thursday, February 16, 2017
I finished this top a little while back. The blocks were made as part of a block party - 12 of us get together, and each month 1 person picks a block for everyone to make. The blocks come back to that person, and they have a quilt. With 12 of us, at the end of the year everyone has a quilt made from blocks created by the other 11 participants.
I found this block in a magazine - it is apparently a variation on Blackford's Beauty. The size is odd (finishes at 12.5"), but I love the end result. I set it with a narrow sashing and corner stones, to continue the red chain between the blocks. The border is scraps left over from the quilt. I experiemented with a piano key border, but felt it was too heavy for the quilt and detracted from the look. I like this one much better. Plus, I only had to make half as many bits to put together the squares in the border :)
I don't know where this quilt will end up. For now, it goes into the 'to be quilted' pile, where hopefully it won't spend too much time.