Tuesday, February 14, 2017

En Provence!


Since I made the label for this quilt yesterday, I thought it was time to share a photo of it.  This is Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt for this year - en Provence.

 I made all the blocks for the mystery, but when it was done I realized that I have no need for another full-sized bed quilt.  Plus, I had used 2 different background fabrics for the 4-patches as Bonnie suggested. And I made half of the 1/2 square triangles with each of the background fabrics. I didn't like them together in the quilt, so I decided to split up the blocks and make 2 quilts - one lap quilt for me, and a smaller one to donate.

The only catch was that I didn't want to make any additional blocks. I did cave in and make 2 1/2 square triangles to fill out the large quilt. But for the tri-rec setions, I was not going to do any more of those. So the small quilt was cheated and I redesigned the outer rows slightly to work with what blocks I had on hand.

In the end, I have enough pieces left over to make 6 or 7 blocks - all different - so I'll have to come up with some sort of plan for those.

Bonnie's final mystery linkup is up today, so I'll be heading over there to join in.  I really like this quilt. My only disappointment is that I took the easy road and used Bonnie's colours. I hadn't planned to - I really wanted to go my own way. Plus, I was determined to do this from stash. But, when I started pulling from my stash what I ended up with was exactly what Bonnie had. Funny how things work out.  Now, I keep seeing quilts that I think are mine (because there are so many with the same colours). So next year, I need to try harder to go my own way again.

3 comments:

  1. Great solution! I think this is one of Bonnnie's prettiest mysteries, but like you, I get tired of seeing them all alike. Wish I had the courage to try a completely different scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are very beautiful ♥
    lg otti

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little quilt is a nice way of using the extra pieces.

    ReplyDelete