Saturday, June 23, 2012
A couple of finishes
Orca Bay is DONE! That's right, completely finished. Pieced, quilted, bound and ready to use. And only 6 months after the mystery was over. I tried taking some pictures outside to get truer colours for this, but I might have to try again. I really like the way this quilt turned out, although there were times when I wondered if I'd finish it. Thank goodness for the Patchwork Times retreat in February, where the top was finished. If not for that, I'd still have a bunch of pieces sitting around my sewing room.
This is the quilt that pushed me over the edge. My Handi-Quilter Avanté should be here in about 4 weeks!
The placemats were supposed to have the french braid running vertically down the left side. But the length of the piece was 6" too long when it was done. I have no idea how I got the calcuations that far wrong (and note that this was a second attempt, after completely blowing the center square size the first time). You would think I'd have learned, but apparently not. However, despite being different than planned, I do like the end result. I bought fabric for binding today (I might have had enough, if I hadn't needed to recut all the placemats) and I hope to finish quilting this before the end of the month.
My favourite bit of the placemats is the the yellow piping around the center square. That's a new technique for me, but it seemed like a good way to get a highlight of yellow in a very small piece, without driving myself crazy trying to stitch that accurately. In the runner, the yellow is 1/2" and is pieced into the pattern.