Tuesday 19 June 2012

Measure Twice?

Measure twice, cut once.  This should be my mantra.  Actually, more like calculate twice.  I know why I had so much trouble getting started on my french braid - I was not too comfortable with my plans. As I now know, my dimensions are not ideal on the table runner - the braids are narrower than I think they should be.  But it's what I needed, to get the overall dimensions I wanted.  I should have sketched it to scale - I might have rethought the whole thing.

But now I'm committed.  And there are placemats planned to go with the runner.  So I cut those out yesterday, after a quick calculation to scale my runner down to the right size for an insert in the placements.  Except, as I sewed them together today I realized that I calculated them COMPLETELY wrong.  7"x12", rather than 3"x12".  Wow.  That is NOT going to work.

So, recalculate (when using a "square in a square" calculator, it is useful to know the difference between inside square length and outside square length).  Then I eyed my (very small) pile of fabric. I bought just what I needed this time, rather than over-indulging in the pretty stuff.  But fortunately since I'm working with 1.25" strips, it didn't need a lot to re-cut the placemats.  I cut new strips (wider and shorter) and hopefully I can get these assembled soon.

Unfortunately, I think this leaves me without any yardage for binding, so I guess a quilt shop visit is in my future this week.

Drop by the Needle and Thread Network to see what other (Canadian) bloggers are up to.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, math. The bane of my crafting! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a visit to the quilt shop so bad? It seems I'm always making up excuses to go to mine. Your table runner looks lovely. I love the french braid pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love a reason to head to my quilt shop. That's the danger :)

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain! But I'm happy to hear the mistake can be rectified!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)...a visit to the Quilt shop! Perfect excuse. I am terrible at math so I am always measuring, more than twice ;). Neat that you are making this set of table mats from your own head. Can't wait to see the final table set up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I measure and measure and then remeasure...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilt math is so different than regular math! If you have a smart phone or itouch, or similar device there is a FREE app by Robert Kaufman Fabrics, called Quilter's little helper -- you will wonder how you managed without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that's exactly the tool I was using. It doesn't work so well when you know the outside square length, but enter it as the inside square length :)

      Delete
  7. Been there, done that - repeatedly, sigh. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete