Monday 26 May 2014

Design Wall Monday - May 26


I have been on a finishing kick lately - finally finished the binding on the 4 quilts that have been sitting on my ottoman for the last several months.  So there isn't much on my design wall this week, but I put up a quilt that just needs a border.  I signed up to finish this one before the last modern guild meeting of the year, so I'd better get cracking.

I struggled with borders for this. The print on the left was my original plan, but when the top was done I didn't think it worked. Too busy. So I spent some time hemming and hawing at the shop, staring at all the other fabrics in the line to find something else.

I fell in love with the orange (since they didn't have the blue I really wanted). But orange?  So I think this the final decision - narrow black, 2" orange, and wide print borders.

I have a few other finishes to share today, too.  This one was a challenge quilt at a retreat I attended last November.  Finally finished the binding on it, so it can go off to Victoria's quilts, after I show it off at guild tonight.

Then we have my bear paw quilt.  This poor little guy has been almost 2 years in the making. The top went together pretty quickly, and even the border didn't slow me down too much.  But it took me over 6 months to get it off the "to quilt" list.  That happened last July.  Then I didn't have enough of the fabric I wanted to use for binding. Have you ever had that problem?  You have a vision in mind, and when it doesn't work out for whatever reason, finding an alternate is almost impossible.  Finally I bit the bullet, picked a gold that was close (but not exactly) the same as that used on the narrow borders. And now it is finally bound and ready to use!  So bright and cheerful. I think I'll replace the quilt in the spare room tonight.

These two are charity quilts.  One is the leftover blocks from the New Year's Eve mystery.  I made 2 quilts, and this is the second one.  And the other is a scrappy challenge from Judy

And speaking of Judy, there are lots more design walls over at Patchwork Times today.

3 comments:

  1. You really are on a finishing kick right now. Way to cross a lot of "To Dos" off the list. Love your scrappy challenge best of all. Such a nice collection of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the orange border, it will definitely bring out the orange in the quilt. Congrats on all the pretty finishes. Your Bear Claw quilt is my favorite, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bear paws quilt. It is so ...like jewel sparkling. I love it. I too sometimes can't get pass Plan A even when I know I can't do it like that. I say to myself: think outside the box ... and nothing comes up but plan A! I would definitively show off Bear Paws on a bed if I were you! Congrats on all the finishes.

    ReplyDelete