Monday 12 May 2014

Design Wall Monday

This is what's on my design wall today.  It's the backing for one of the quilts I made at retreat last  month.  I still like my cut-a-round rulers, but the larger circles are much easier to work with.  I have another circle quilt in mind, and I think it's going to be appliqued, much as I hate to do that.  At least I can do it without raw edges, due to some options I learned last year.
This quilt however, is all set-in circles.

A study in contrasts - here's the front of the quilt.  The front and back are slightly different sizes. The rectangle blocks are 8" finished, and the circle blocks are 9". But I'll fix up that difference with the final border on the back, which will also give me more room for positioning errors.

Drop by Judy's blog for more design walls today.

5 comments:

  1. i really like this...most likely I would applique too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt. Are the rectangle pieces uniform in size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea. I like it when the pieced back looks like another quilt. This would be one I could see making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the contrast between the front and the back. It's like two quilts in one! Are they the same colour? On the pictures, the back looks black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark squares/borders on the back are the same as the outer border on the front - a solid brown (Moda Weave). The light squares on the back are a neutral Moda Weave. The circles are from the same fabrics as the squares/rectangles on the front.

      Delete