Monday 15 January 2024

One Block Wonder - Geese

 I love One Block Wonder quilts.  I made my first back in 2015, and I haven't looked back since.  At the end of this post is a list of the 10 I've made so far.  We won't talk about how many piles of fabric are in my cupboard, purchased for one block wonders.

However, I saw this goose panel on sale at a quilt shop, and thought it might make an interesting one block wonder.  It sat around for some time, and then my guild asked me to run a workshop on panel one block wonders.  This was a perfect sample to make for that class, so I pulled it out and started cutting.

Animals (and people) are tough. I don't like disembodied eyes and other body parts lying around my quilt.  But this one worked out fairly nicely. However, when I started laying it out, all the dark hexies from the geese themselves gave me trouble. They didn't blend around the edges at all.  Since I knew this would be a donation quilt, I ended up tossing those hexies aside, and working with the ones I liked better.  Unfortunately, I started cutting from the bottom right. Which mean that I lost almost all of the bright blue area of the panel - my final row was 1/2" short, and my triangles on the last full row were oriented such that I cut off most of the blue in the waste at the end of the row.  Poor planning on my part, I see now.  But also a good lesson to talk about in class :)

To deal with that, I dug some matching blue out of my stash, and the entire upper left of this quilt is strips cut from yardage, rather than hexies.  Two tone binding, to differentiate sky and grass, finished it off.  The quilt is about 48x70", and will be donated to Victoria's Quilts.


The leftover blocks could not go to waste.  So I put them up on the design wall, and came up with this design. It too is about 48x870" and will be heading off to Victoria's quilts.


I also made bags for each of them, since that's part of our donation process in the group I belong to.  I had a fat quarter of loon fabric which I thought was somewhat appropriate for the pockets on the bags for these two quilts.

  1. Shells from Kaffe Fasset - 2014
  2. Kaffe Fasset - Aug 2017
  3. Mini one block wonder - 2018
  4. Guild challenge OBW - 2019 
  5. Butterfly Forest - 2019
  6. Flower panel - 2019
  7. Floral part 2 - 2019 
  8. Paris - 2020?
  9. Florence - 2021?
  10. Canada Geese - 2024
  11. Geese Remainders - 2024



No comments:

Post a Comment