Monday 9 April 2012

Design Wall Monday - April 9

I seriously considered starting work on my April colour challenge quilt.  But I decided that I should instead finish one of the quilts that is waiting for completion.  So, on my wall today is my Orca Bay quilt.  It needs borders, and I need inspiration.  I'm considering a narrow black border, but not sure what to follow it with.  I am, unfortunately, out of steam for the piecing required to make the designed border.  So I need to come up with something different.  I suppose a simple narrow black border and binding would work, but it seems to need a bit more than that.

In the meantime, while this hangs out on my wall, I have started quilting my Pink Posies quilt.  I decided to use a celtic knot design, highlighting the "blocks" that appeared in the secondary pattern in this quilt.  This picture doesn't show it too well, but I'll have to wait until I'm done to try and get a better shot.

On a related note, I think this needs a new name. With the change in design, it doesn't look very flowery to me any more.  Maybe something will come to me while I'm quilting it.

Check out Judy's blog to see what others have on their design walls today.

14 comments:

  1. The way your quilt is laid out reminds me of a formal garden, plus the pink looks like fuchsias or rhododendrons. Really beautiful.

    The Orca Bay would look nice with a piano key border. Some piecing, but pretty mindless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your projects are beatiful. A medium black border with a narrow orange/red border followed by another wider black border would be pretty with the Orca Bay quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink/rose quilt looks like a tile floor. That may or may not help you come up with a new name. I'd put a purple border on Orca Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Orca Bay looks great. What about a simple string border? I know what you mean when you run out of steam on a project. This one is so close, you're almost there :)

    And I think the second one really does look like a garden, I agree with Kris, like a formal garden. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I looked at your quilt I saw a purple small border, an oranged medium border and then a black larger finish border. And I think a multicolored stripe for a binding would be great. You did a great job on this quilt: love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of piecing is involved with Orca Bay! I understand losing steam. Bonnie's border treatments are almost like making another quilt :*) But I'm sure you will figure out something that fits the quilt and keeps you from burning out entirely. I really like Kate's suggestion. Too simple would not work, and I like pulling the orange out to the borders. Your Pink Posies (for lack of its new name) is really pretty - I love that design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors in your Orca Bay! I finished mine last month and wish now I'd added one more border...It doesn't fit the guest room bed...Oh well. Your Rose quilt is a beauty, too. I agree, they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the borders for my Orca Bay and then decided I didn't like it. I put a narrow white border on mine. When it comes back from being quilted I am going to bind it with strip pieced pink binding to pull out the pink in my center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see a narrow black border, an orange stripe fabric for a middle wider border, and then another narrow black border, bound in black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the Orca Bay I think I would go with a narrow black border, then an orange flange, then a wider final black border again. I think it would make the center really pop. Great job on this & your newer one. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orca Bay looks so good! I understand about not wanting a pieced border. Hope you find a suggestion or get an inspiration for a good direction to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not read any other answers but I would do a purple or orange border instead of black!! A narrow one, just to frame it, then do a larger black one!! That would look fantastic I think!!

    I love your 'orca'!! Mine is already at my quilters!! That for me is amazing in itself!!! Have a great week and for this quilt, what feels right to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful quilts. The first one is quite stunning!

    ReplyDelete