Friday 26 January 2018

Modern Plus

Woohoo, another UFO finished! This quilt barely made it onto my UFO list this year (#16, I think). But I needed to test out a new pantograph for a customer and the design was just perfect for this quilt.  So I pulled it out of the closet and loaded it up. Fortunately it was one of the quilts I'd already picked backing for, so I had a nice soft blue flannel all ready to go, and a batting just waiting for a place to be used.

This top was designed and pieced back in 2016, for a presentation at the Ottawa Modern Guild on "make it modern". I made a traditional plus top, and then designed a couple of more modern ones. My black and white (which was a Christmas gift in 2016) and this one.

I quilted it with "retro lines", which nicely reflects the plus shapes in the quilt top.

And then bound it. I knew I didn't have any grey left, so I was going to try to hunt down some of the blues in the quilt top. Then I remembered my binding box - where good binding goes to die.  When I finish binding a quilt, I take the leftover strip of binding and toss (stuff) it into this little bin. So for this quilt, I dug through and pulled out all the appropriate blue/teal pieces and sewed them together. Voila - ready-made binding!

No comments:

Post a Comment