These have sat in my sewing room since then, so I finally decided it was time to move them out. Going back to my original thinking, I put them together with some green at the bottom and a grey border to try to get the size a bit closer to a donation quilt. I pulled out all the (few) flower prints I had in my stash, started by covering the holes, and then tried to turn it in to a field of flowers raining down.
No completely happy with this one. I like the bottom half - but not so much the top. I think maybe because it's a bit dark. I'll have to see what I can do with quilting, and maybe find a way to spruce it up.