Friday 4 January 2013

On the Needles

How many knitting projects can one person have going at one time?  Apparently, at least 4.  I really should finish one of these.


First, I have fingerless mitts, for my sister.  When I was visiting over Christmas, she mentioned that she was looking for a pair, but they had to have a long (but open) thumb and she couldn't find any.  So I thought I'd make her a pair for her birthday. (Hopefully I'm right that she doesn't read my blog :) )

Unfortunately, I have once again been bit by the yarn that changes colour over the course of the skein, and the gloves are two slightly different shades.  So now I will make another "pair", and pick the best match for her.

Next, a pair of socks that I've been working on for a month.  Finally turned the heel before Christmas, so I just need to sit down and finish them.  These are taking a long time, because I'm doing them on extra-small needles, in the hopes of making them more comfortable to wear.  Notice Cari contemplating them.  She really wanted to help with the photos today.

Then we have my poor ruffled scarf.  I just can't get excited about this one, although apparently Cari can.  Part of my problem is the awkward needles.  They are too long, so it's hard to knit if I'm wearing a sweater or my coat (I was knitting this scarf every time I wait for my son at his drum lesson each week).  But I finally bought myself some shorter needles in the right size, so I hope I can get moving on this again.

And finally, a hat to match to the scarf.  I decided that part of my problem with finishing the scarf is knowing when to stop :)  And I'm going to have a pile of yarn left over.  So I decided to make a matching hat.  And I need to make the hat first, so that I know I have enough yarn for it.  Then I can finish the scarf and make it as long as the yarn I have.

Drop by Judy's blog to see what others are knitting this week.

1 comment:

  1. If yarn is 2 colors and I am knitting socks, I just keep knitting away - it has not happened to me before with mittens or mitts though - in that case I would probably do what you are doing - make another pair since they are a gift. Good plan to do the hat - the scarf can be any length but you want a complete hat! Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete