Sunday 6 January 2013

Stash Report - Jan 6, 2013

The first stash report of 2013. And already I have a bunch of fabric used, that I forgot to track as I cut it.  I think this year I am going to make a change in my reporting methods.  I will continue to report only stash out, as incoming stash is not (currently) an issue for me.  And, this year I think I will report stash used when the top is complete, backing when it is loaded on the long arm, and binding when I attach it.  That should help me keep track, and avoid double counting (or missing completely) any fabric.  Especially for those on-going block of the month projects I have so many of this year.

So, for this year's first stash report, I have one completed quilt top, and one quilt loaded on the long arm, so I can count its backing.  That's 5 yards for backing. The quilt top used 5 1/4 yards, plus 2 1/2 yards for borders.  But I counted 1 1/2 yards last year, so that's 6 1/4 yards I can count today.  And the end result of those 6 1/4 yards is my version of Bonnie's Easy Street Mystery.  A smaller version, with extended borders.  It measures about 60x80, and is just right for a twin bed.

Those who participated in Bonnie's mystery may note that I did not choose my "dark grey" very well. It blends completely into my black&white background fabric.  However, I still like the end results, desipte that missing feature.

Total stash used this week:  11 1/4 yards

Check out Judy's blog for more 2013 stash reports.  And on Monday I'll be linking up to Bonnie's Easy Street reveal linkup.

17 comments:

  1. I've not made the Bonnie Hunter mystery, but I saved the patterns and have watched several peoples progress. Yours is the pretties one I've seen yet! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the borders are so right to go around your blocks - that's a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty much how I track mine but I do count incoming because that was a problem for me. until I started tracking and even then . . well, I'm doing better.

    Love the colors used in your Easy Street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Easy Street! I'm making a twin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun to see how folks are making Easy Street their own, not following the pattern 100%. Your quilt looks fantastic. I don't think there is any right way to count our out going fabrics. I count mine when the quilt is completely finished.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your new method of report. Care if I copy you? I am always getting confused on reporting...did I already report it or not. I will adopt your method and hopefully be more acurate. Incoming is an issue for me to I will track that too. Thanks for a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My choice for the grey was a very pale green. The secondary pattern is there, but it doesn't pop. Your quilt is quite a beauty no matter. I find that reporting all yardage when the quilt is finished works best for me....I'd never get them bound if I could only count the binding for all of that hand work! Everything might just get stalled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with your method of counting your stash, since that is close to what I do. Fabric for top is counted upon completion of top, backing when quilting is done, and binding when the binding is done.

    Your ES turned out wonderfully even if you can't see the grey very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilt top!! It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your twin version of Easy Street. The borders are perfect and make the blocks shine. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! That is a great version of Easy Street. May I ask how you figured what portion of her totals to make for each step?I divided them by 1/4 as I was making only a lap quilt size.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Krista....did you sew all your borders together and then miter the corners?? Love your borders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that'd exactly what I did.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I finally finished all the blocks. Time to think about the borders. Just love your borders.

      Delete
  13. Your borders really enhance an already beautiful piece! What are the widths of the different borders? I am very new to quilting and would love to have them for reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though your gray blends in - it gives you quilt a whole different look.

    ReplyDelete